House GOP Wants To Strip LGBT, Immigrant and Native American Protections from the Violence Against Women Act!!! Essentially, They Are Saying That They Don't Care If Violence Is Perpetuated Against LGBT Americans, Immigrants, or Native Americans!!! Despicable!!!
The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is facing another struggle to stay intact, this time in the House of Representatives. The House GOP looks likely to rewrite the domestic violence prevention bill, which passed the Senate last week, with the aim of stripping provisions for Native Americans, undocumented people, and the LGBT community — the same provisions that Senate Republicans tried to remove from the bill.
But despite the Senate’s ultimate passage of the bill — which included the support of 14 Republican senators, including all of the female Republicans — the House is ready to fight these provisions again. Their version of VAWA also removes the protections for marginalized communities. According to Congressional Quarterly, a watered-down bill, of which Rep. Sandy Adams (R-FL) is the lead sponsor, is likely to pass in the House:
The House bill also would eliminate Senate language that supporters say would do more to help victims of domestic violence including gays and lesbians, immigrants and American Indians. Adams considers those provisions unnecessary, a spokeswoman said. “The grants are available to all victims, and there is no evidence to conclude that victims are being turned away,” said spokeswoman Lisa Boothe in an email.
The backing of Smith, of Texas, and California’s McCarthy signals the House measure is on a fast track to passage — and a showdown with the Senate.
While Adams may think the provisions are unnecessary, there is ample proof that she is mistaken. Cases of LGBT domestic violence increased 38 percent from last year. Seven people died from domestic abuse. And of those who sought it, 44 percent of LGBT victims were turned away from traditional shelters. As for Tribal victims, Native American women face the highest rate of domestic violence in the US — three and a half times higher than the national average — and can currently not seek any protection if the perpetrator is non-Tribal.
And undocumented victims? Maybe they aren’t “turned away” in Adams’s definition, but that’s because they fear that if they call the police, they will be deported.
Members of Congress have already seen heated debate around VAWA, with one member even recounting her own experience of being raped as a girl. With the attempt to strip out provisions for particularly vulnerable communities, the fight is likely to get even more difficult.
(via wearetheweirdos)Source: thepoliticalfreakshow
- pyrzqxgl reblogged this from tal9000
- pyrzqxgl likes this
- insignificantuser reblogged this from tal9000
- twatwurst reblogged this from dadgenes
- baseddw reblogged this from dadgenes
- sittingontheedgeofastar reblogged this from gaynewenglander
- scintillatingseamus likes this
- gaynewenglander reblogged this from dadgenes
- somemutantlovechild reblogged this from laninaseria
- englishsparkleparty likes this
- deviously-dangerous reblogged this from pfowolf
- raggedymind reblogged this from dissthepiecesonja
- raggedymind likes this
- laninaseria reblogged this from hannahology
- avoidtheflourish likes this
- afteralll-this-time reblogged this from slutwalkdenver
- slutwalkdenver reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- luthienanwamane reblogged this from askmeiwontsayno
- bonedust likes this
- electrictragedy reblogged this from rapturesrevenge
- maniac-raging reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- kalooeh reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- kalooeh likes this
- butchrosser likes this
- im-not-digging-it reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- soiledphotos likes this
- jahloveangel reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- felodrassil reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- hairtrending reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- bobmuffins likes this
- msoddduck reblogged this from suzvoy
- normalisabadword reblogged this from thesadgiraffe
- normalisabadword likes this
- thesadgiraffe reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- warholesque likes this
- karmainmyeye reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- cimness reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- knitsfire likes this
- laserdazer reblogged this from vagabond-halfpint
- crockohdialrock reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- vagabond-halfpint reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- moxious reblogged this from wearetheweirdos
- moxious likes this
- husky04 reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- fresh-outoffucks reblogged this from invisiblelad and added:
- jjarichardson reblogged this from resmc
- kaiamar reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- kaiamar likes this